Sth Aust Fruit & Veg Nazis

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:32
ThreadID: 74179 Views:6570 Replies:20 FollowUps:44
This Thread has been Archived
Mrs Bush and I are usually very meticulous when it comes to Fruit Fly Exclusion Zones and other forms of quarantine. We've crossed the Nullarbor numerous times and always make sure that our fruit and veg is consumed before the Border Village or Ceduna. In 2007 we came across through SA and came to the Western edge of their Fruit Fly Exclusion Zone, the one that crosses into Victoria and NSW. We rang the 1800 number back then and had it explained to us that we could buy within the FFEZ and take the products out but not the other way around.

They forgot to emphasis, or even mention, State borders.

Last week, when we were in Temora we scrutinised the map and saw that heading west towards Hay would put us in the FFEZ so we consumed all our fruit and veg. We bought some more in Hay and consumed that while there and in Mildura. We bought some more in Mildura knowing that it was inside the FFEZ and therefore it should be OK.

Driving west towards Renmark today we saw signs saying: got any fruit? Eat it now. Well, we knew that ours was OK because it was bought INSIDE the FFEZ.

At Yamba we had to stop and all our fruit and veg was stolen from us by the Stormtrooper at the booth because the SA Govt has set up a ZONE WITHIN A ZONE.

I spat it big time. We drove through Renmark and had planned to stop at a couple of tourist places and spend some money. We didn't and they are the poorer for it. Ditto at Berri. We had also intended to go to Loxton and overnight at Moorook, spending money there as well. We didn't.

I was so furious with the lack of publicity about this Zone within a Zone that we just kept driving.

We got through to Melrose and decided to camp overnight at the Showgrounds. We have just turned up and there is ONE other caravan and ONE campertrailer. We don't need power or water so I parked well away from the power outlet and got out to go and see the Caretaker. He was already on his way over. No "Hullo", "G'day" or anything like that, he just said "What's goin' on then?".

You can't camp there if you don't need power. I might get a whole lot of vans tonight who want power (It's 6:30pm). Go and camp over there.....

We gave him the money for the night. No Thank You, just a mumbled: Do you want a receipt?

So we know where that money's going....

Still, he's only 4'6''. He trolled back to his bunker to work out what went wrong after his grandfather invaded Poland.

South Australia? I'm over it....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:38

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:38
There is the same system in NSW also.

A total exclusion zone and it basically means no movement of fruit into the area.

Anyhow I hope your trip and mood improves.
AnswerID: 393697

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:46

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:46
Thanks Notso, I'm sure the trip and my mood will improve.

You're right about not being able to take fruit INTO the Exclusion Zone, but we were just moving about WITHIN the zone. It just happened to be across a State Border.

Now I bet that fruit and vegies grown WITHIN that zone but inside NSW and VIC is exported to SA and sold there.

What's the diff with the fruit we had in our fridge for less than 24 hours?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661781

Follow Up By: Notso - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:58

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:58
Yep, it's time for one national government I reckon. The issue is bigger than the fruit fly blocks. There are about 10 different OH&S Acts in Australia, can you imagine a National business trying to comply with all the different requirements.

Even though they are slowly bringing in "National regulations" for motor traffic acts etc this isn't working, look at the different requirements for fitting larger tyres or raising suspensions.

AH well I'll be long gone before there is ever a national set of laws for this country.
FollowupID: 661788

Follow Up By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:55

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:55
It's been like this for many many years , It's a bugger that it's not made a bit more obvious that you can not bring fruit and veg from Vic into SA.

You would of loved it here in the Riverland area.

I would of been just as P-ed of as you.

So sorry to hear you didn't spend any time in the Riverland.

Cheers Scoot.
FollowupID: 661813

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:41

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:41
None of the states are very good at providing correct information regarding quarantine zones..... except WA... where everything is against the law.... lol..!
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 393700

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:55

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:55
You're dead right there

Even opening sops at sensible times and days is against the law in Wait Awhile
FollowupID: 661787

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:59

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 18:59
Woops meant shops was thinking of the politicians when i wrote that LOL

FollowupID: 661789

Follow Up By: disco driver - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:16

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:16
We in West Australia have become hardened to inane comments from those who have travelled through our state and then followed up with unfavorable comments.

We don't care what you think about our shopping hours, we are not so busy rushing around that we don't have time to shop in "Normal Hours"

We have had 2 State Referenda on shopping hours and clearly, apart from Coles and Woolies, Hardley Normal and a couple of other bigname stores, NO ONE wanted longer hours.

Mind you, West Australia was glad to take your money while you were here.

LOL

Disco.
FollowupID: 661798

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:50

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:50
Yep and plenty of it as well

Whats wrong with giving the shops permission to open when they want to If they dont they wont.

It will catch up with you eventually.

We went for a walk in Esperance at the weekend pocketfuls of money to spend and apart from Woolies and Bunnings the place was shut at 1pm. aand all day Sunday Even the Supermarkets.

In Kalgoorlie a shopkeeper was moaning about Bunnings saying it was the cause of a local hardware store closing down.

Well I went to the OTHER hardware shop in Esperance at 1255 and it was shut so went to Bunnings Guess everyone else does as well cos if you want to do a job at the weekend and need some gear you go there because you know they will be open.

Same in KAL you cant buy when they are shut. So they blame Bunnings for being open JEEZ.

Sorry I like WA but put clocks back 10 years after living on the east coast.

FollowupID: 661801

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:56

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:56
"Sorry I like WA but put clocks back 10 years after living on the east coast."

well WA is propping up just about all of Aus now so how about if everyone else falls into line with us for a change?
Or at least gets over whinging about how "bad" it is here.

Graham-how do you feel about Japs/Koreans/Poms etc coming on holiday to Qland and complaining about how its "not like home"???
We get tired of hearing it here, we have had referendums on daylight saving and extended shopping, and rejected them.

I work in the resource industry and there are plane loads of people flying flying in and out of WA for work.
Havent met any yet going the other way, thats not to say there arent but they are in the minority.
FollowupID: 661814

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:13

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:13
Dont want a slanging match but why do they fly in and fly out.

A because they can

B because housing is hard to get and expensive where the work is.

C because they are coming, working and taking the money back to the more

civilised parts of the country.

Lighten up I was only poking fun at WA Its a lovely place and we may be

back to see the bits that were closed this time.

We welcome tourists of any country in Queensland as we are open all the time

so they can spend their money every day.

Not perfect though they still cant see the benefit of daylight saving to

encourage people to wander around in the evening.

I come from South Island NZ where we have Daylight saving and its light

enough in the summer to have a round of golf after work or even after tea

and then go grocery shopping at the all night supermarket. LOL

FollowupID: 661815

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:44

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:44
jeez after all this b/s i dont think we will bother to come over to wa
FollowupID: 661828

Follow Up By: mowing - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:58

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:58
Fisho64, The only reason that the extended trading got knocked back at the referendum was IGA mounted a campaign to stop it. WA wouldn't support Danny Green in his fight so NSW got $5mil in tourism revenue plus 65 mill people watched him fight in Sydney. V8 Super Cars won't come here as the track is rubbish. All the Dockers and Eagles supporters want a new stadium which is completely non viable given the cost and the anticipated usage. The red bull air race is here because we have a paddock near the river but this year they had to dump a round so Perth got dropped. They say that there will be 5,000 people here for CHOGM. there aren't 5,000 hotel room spare.
I like living in WA but it really is Wait Awhile.

Mark
FollowupID: 661831

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:35

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:35
Graham-probably best to put one of these in then :-)

sorry mower but IGA didnt tell me how to vote, not sure about anyone else. Ironically the NO vote was about the same in Perth as outside I think.
(the cows DID however tell me to vote no to daylight saving)

All the other stuff is Perth-about 2% of WA, a fact forgotten by many :-)
FollowupID: 661835

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 21:41

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 21:41
"well WA is propping up just about all of Aus now so how about if everyone else falls into line with us for a change?"

Yeah! About time, W.A. was known as the "mendicant state" for one hell of a long time. You are just returning what it drew out of the eastern states for near on eighty years.

lol,

Ian.
FollowupID: 661944

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:02

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:02
You will be easy to spot on the Nullabor.

I will look out for a Cruiser with smoke coming out the windows ROFL

Leaving Eucla for Ceduna in Morning. 2 nights there.

CU

AnswerID: 393702

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:14

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:14
Dont forget to stay with Brian and Kathy at ceduna big 4.

Pesty
FollowupID: 661790

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:32

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:32
Hullo Graham,

we may miss you. We are going down the east coast of the Eyre Peninsula tomorrow and will spend 3 or 4 days making our way up the west coast.

Hopefully the good people of the Eyre Peninsula will be a little less bureaucratic.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661793

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:49

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:49
goodday gb
we have missed you we are currently in port vincent on yorke peninsula

steve

as for the fruit nazis this year coming down from broken hill i peeled the pumkin sweet potato and onions and the prick said i should also have part cooked them also but because i had done that much i could keep them probably no good already prepared

dont forget you cant even take a new jar of honey back into wa what a joke
FollowupID: 661829

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:07

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:07
Hiya Bigfella

I remember DIO posting something about the changes about a year or so ago here on the Forum. But you are right there isn't much info given out about any changes.

I had an altercation with the female version of Adolf at Yamba a while back. First of all they are in a hurry to look in your fridge. I said they had to wait 'cos the dog would take their arms off. So when that was done she said 'You got any eskies and I said No forgetting about an old busted esky in the trailer. So next se wants to look in the trailer and I had to unzip the sides of the trailer.....meanwhile the traffic is banking up...lol. "Wot's this?" she cries. Me "A plastric box"...."I wanna see inside it" I said "Go for it"....'twas only some old preserving jars in there. I said she could unpack the whole of the bloody trailer if she wished. I had made my declaration and if she carried on like a pork chop its her stress. "Think we're finished here" came the reply

Anyway its a stupid system because at some times of the year the bloody Control Offices are shut. I make sure I have nothing on board when coming home and spill for an argument but the last three times the bloody place has been shut at Oodlawirra...LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 393703

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:24

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:24
G'day Willem,

yes, we had about 6 or 7 big trucks lined up behind us.

Just as things were concluding with our interogation one truck started to rev his engine. I stood outside my van and gave him the fingers then jumped on the UHF and told him I was going to drive at 30kph in front of him.

Needless to say, I was a little miffed.

I'm getting over it tho, I'm onto my second glass of Evening Primrose Oil.....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661791

Follow Up By: Horacehighroller - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:25

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:25
The truckie's frustration was probably directed at the "Nazi" not yourself.

Peter
FollowupID: 661863

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:31

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:31
WELCOME to the RANN state mate, where everyone is subject to PLUNDER and PILLAGE, not just the locals.
I was under the impression if you had the reciept you could keep it, expecially if it was woolys or coles.
I would have turned around and parked behind the stn and cooked it all or something, and if i had to surrender it i would have smashed it up so they couldnt eat it.
Im all for protecting the state from friut fly, but sometimes this mob go over board.
My mother spent weeks drying huge amounts of nectarines a few years ago, and so when going to the west to see daughter took several bags of dried fruit, only to be told that the only dried fruit permitted was angus park, so guess who is getting a kick back there.
She made them give her a reciept and they kept them for several weeks and she collected them on the way home. Go mum hahaha

Pesty

AnswerID: 393705

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:38

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:38
I think I would have liked your Mum, Pesty.

I have trouble with authority of any kind.... except my own. lol

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661794

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:55

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:55
goodday pesty
will be in nurioopta for 2 weeks from 21/12 so will catch up while there
if you buy from woolies in broken hill evidently you can ask for a certificate to say you bought them there and it is supposed to get you through but who knows

steve
FollowupID: 661830

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:36

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:36
Yeah Steve it is supposed to get you through but I can tell you from experience not to count on that.

What annoys me the most about the Oodlawirra check point is that you are actually leaving the FFEZ when they take the fruit off you.

The exclusion zone border runs along the Barrier Highway from the border to Oodlawirra. It then it turns directly south. The FFEZ is south and east of Oodlawirra. So why do they steel our fruit and veg as we head south west, that, is as we leave the zone?

Answer, so we will have to buy more in SA.

I am sure the 'S' in SA stands for self-obsessed.

Duncs
FollowupID: 661847

Reply By: mowing - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:51

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:51
Hey Mr GB, Did this fellow say that he only accepts "Reichsmark" .. I hope that you told him what went wrong after his grandfather invaded Poland. At 4'6" he would have only been up to your naval.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 393707

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:30

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:30
My navel's been sagging recently.

It's now part of the verandah over my toolshed.....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661809

Reply By: ljsroslyn - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:57

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 19:57
I know exactly what you mean. In July we travelled from Vic to SA to QLD to SA to NSW to Vic all in a five week trip zig zagging around. I can tell you that was fun trying to work out state rules for fruit and veg. It nearly did our head in.

To confuse the SA/Vic issue even more - when in SA you can buy fruit & veg outside the FFZ of SA and with a valid receipt you can drive into the the SA FFZ with the fruit & veg just purchased - figure that one out!!! Sorry I can't find the link where we found all the information but it was all very difficult to interpret.
AnswerID: 393710

Follow Up By: ljsroslyn - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:05

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:05
I just found the link referred to above
http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/index.php

Hope this helps for future travel.
FollowupID: 661796

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:36

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:36
I will look at the link in a while. A few years ago we saw the signs 'eat fruit now' so did - a whole tray of nectarines purchased in Woolworths a day or two before and not even unwrapped. We were only passing through 'a corner' of the exclusion zone, but didn't want to be caught doing the wrong thing.

WA is much more accommodating. Last year we left Kununurra for the NT stocked with lots of lovely fresh Ord River fruit and vege ready for our tour through NT (via Tanami), but had a problem the next day and returned to Kununurra. I explained the situation, and showed the receipt for the f&v purchased at Coles, and explained the rest had been purchased the previous day at the Saturday markets without receipts. That was fine, and we kept our fruit. Obviously we couldn't have purchased any of it in NT in the area and the time we had been there. Very civilised.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661799

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 00:59

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 00:59
Thanks ljsroslyn and The Landy for posting the link.

I did not find that site in my search, and on several others i did find, there was not mention of the SA border within the FFEZ. This site has a map showing the quarantine area, and there is some small grey writing (talk about fine print) which is impossible to read which seems to say something about SA border. A useful site in part, but still does not spell out what happens at the SA border within the FFEZ, because it is not printed clearly - in fact 'hidden' by virtue of the unreadable text.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661972

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:26

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 20:26
I can relate to that GB; same thing happened to us.

Before entering the zone, i checked on the internet, to ensure we didn't breach any regulations. Vegetables were OK, but not fruit (which includes tomatoes). I looked at both the CMCA website which is an excellent website and had a good easy to read article on the zone. It said grapes were permitted, however the Govt site which i also checked said grapes were not, so the grapes got eaten too (CMCA got it wrong). Likewise we shopped at Hay - not a cheap store either! We also got a flat tyre when we stopped to go shopping which was an added drama as Rooster was not well that day and going under the van to jack it gave him a mighty headache and nausea. I had gone shopping leaving him to change the tyre. Because he felt so ill after this, we missed having a good look around the town and going to the "Shear Outback" display.Hay was a nice friendly town, as when i enquired in the grocery store about a tyre service in case we needed one (it was Sunday), shop staff went to find the phone number, and came back with the lady who with her husband run the tyre service. She gave me her mobile number in case we did need them to come out (we didn't).

Had i known, i would have sliced, steamed and frozen the tomatoes at least. I was equally NOT IMPRESSED to find we still lost the produce purchased inside the zone, just due to a state border. The Nazi-ess was quite polite about it, so i won't "shoot the messenger". Although i am a bit of a Nazi myself when in comes to protecting WA primary production, i found this ridiculous, and like you, i wouldn't have minded so much if i had known to plan ahead. I had done what i thought was checking the right websites.

I didn't let it spoil my holiday, and purchased more fruit and tomatoes in Renmark, and spent the next few days at camps along the Murray. At Berri we went to a ski boat racing competition which was something different, and the Rooster who was heading for home as fast as he could stopped and enjoyed the day relaxing by the river and seeing the boats and competitors.

We never got to Melrose to camp as we had intended - we struck a dreadful day with very hot dusty strong winds, so decided to stop ASAP (needing a powered site to run the air con as it was so hot, and couldn't run the genny with a fire hazard day like that) so changed travel direction and found a lovely place to stop at the Auburn Sports Ground instead. Our camping experiences through SA were all good.

Enjoy the Eyre - they should be all smiles there this year.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 393715

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:38

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 21:38
Just getting our own back Stephen :-o).......but really, Mike Rann (aka 'good news Mike') gets very nasty as soon as he makes bad news - lately he's had plenty of bad news. As for WA, I always refer to the border guards at Kununurra as Nazis, since they pinched my peanuts in the shell bought from Woollies in Katherine :-o( and hell... our cotton clothes and linen teatowels were at risk too I reckon.........
AnswerID: 393733

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 06:48

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 06:48
You mean Mike (I did not have sex with that woman) Rann?
FollowupID: 661980

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:34

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:34
A quick search or posting the question on here could have saved you all that stress GB ;-)
On this years trip accross we 1/2 cooked all our vegies & Cryovaced them in portion serves. A little preparation keeps the border patrol happy. Berri is the heart of fresh fruit so we always aim to buy it there.
Literaly Bypassing the State of SA and all the great places it has to offer is a bit childish don't you think for the loss of a few dollars worth of food. That will certainly teach them a lesson for your mistake :D
Cheers Craig.........

AnswerID: 393741

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:10

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 23:10
Well after coming from SA and nw living in WA I fully support any measure SA takeseven if some peoplea are "inconvenienced" crops of fruit full of maggots make growing frut trees here in WA a waste of time. It makes you realize why they are so dedicated
AnswerID: 393742

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 00:31

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 00:31
Gidday

I'm with you get outmore ... i lived in in Adelaide for a few years in the 80s and the fresh stone fruit and citrus from the home gardens was magic .About the only thing that isnt a pain to grow in Perth now are lemons .. though I have even seen fruit fly in them!

Cheers

Rocco
FollowupID: 661832

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:10

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:10
Hi get outmore

We used to have a decent quarantine system to protect our fruit from those darn Mediterranean fruit fly. You're right - no point in trying to grow fruit now - our orchard is just a liability - so much fruit to pick up and deal with to try and stop the fly - but they still find us from town the following year. The orchardists have to spray everything with nasty chemicals for us to eat. A few astute Nazis on the borders years ago could have saved our fruit.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661834

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:06

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:06
I live in the Riverland and have been a fruit grower some years ago.
keeping this area Fruit Fly free is absolutely vital to the economy of this area as a Fruit Fly outbreak severely restricts the access to many markets overseas and within Australia as well.
We have enough issues with water shortages because of other activities up within the northern areas of the Murray Darlin Basin so a fruit fly outbreak would be disasterous for us here.
Many travellers have tried to hide their fruit from the inspectors and frequently we hear about an outbreak caused by people returning from the Eastern states carrying maggot infested produce.
I strongly support the Inspectors at Yamba and other places and a little research beforehand instead of making an assumption would have saved a lot of grief.
Frankly, entering WA is very much so more strict and I even had a hessian bag taken from me because it may have had grass seeds in it at some stage. I handed it over without question because of the ramifications that could have eventuated.
On another trip, we encounted an inspector who had been camped out from Halls Creek who confiscated everything that was prohibited. He had been camping there for several weeks and was living very nicely off the proceeds. LOL
Falling off high horse now
FollowupID: 661874

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 20:14

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 20:14
I agree Dasher Des - i get on my high horse about protecting WA agriculture too. Any mention of 'smuggling' and i get rather angry. However taking fruit purchased within the FFEZ without prior warning is a bit rich. SA farmers do have it hard; particularly when they are reliant for water on the dregs of what the other states let through to them.

I was in one small NSW town (on the Murrumbidgee i recall) asking about water levels and supplies. I commented about SA getting only what is left, and he said 'you're from SA then' - 'no' i replied, 'I'm from WA'. He looked totally astonished that i cared about SA.

We found various small prickly seeds adherred to our shoe laces, socks, lining of sneakers and even the floor mat in the caravan. We plucked them all out and binned each day to avoid further spread. I ask that everyone else does the same.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661920

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 00:43

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 00:43
Geez,

I reckon you guys should lighten up a little, you are too stressed out:-)

Who gives a continental about a couple of dollars worth of fruit! Get over it.
The quarantine officers are only there to protect the citrus industry from accidental, as well as deliberate breaches of the fruit fly exclusion zones which in either case can have dramatic financial impacts to the Fruit growing industry.

We travelled from Adelaide to Pooncarie (NSW) through the premier fruit growing areas and back again and had no problems with the attitude of the Quarantine Officers at all.
SWMBO even had a pot of herbs in the vehicle which proved to be no problem at all as they were "alive" and still rooted in soil.

We just go with the flow!

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 393748

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:03

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:03
Hi Sandman - don't try and bring the potted herbs into WA - nothing with soil allowed in, and for very good reasons.

The issue here is that all the information shows one exclusion zone encompassing an area running into three states. NOTHING SAID IT WAS SUB-DIVIDED within that zone (ie at the SA border). Don't the SA people trust the quality of the quarantine in the NSW side of the same exclusion zone? If we had known about the sub division we would have been prepared, as we were when we entered the NSW side of the zone, and as we are when we enter WA or any other known quarantine zone. I think Gone Bush feels the same way (only somewhat more strongly GB?).

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661833

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:00

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:00
Just a little more strongly, MH.

I think my last few millilitres of testosterone got pumped up somehow.

Beats me, they are never there when I really need them......

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661843

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:50

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:50
Hi there. How many people realise that fruit fly is only one of the nasties that the States watch for at border checkpoints? That's why the Yamba people are as interested in onions and spuds as they are in fruit. OK, so there's a FFEZ but there are also fungal disease issue that affect various vegetable crops. I recall a strict check at the NT/WA border, covering seeds, honey and other stuff that WA is trying to keep out of WA, and that didn't have much to do with fruit fly either!
If people continue to think that fruit fly is THE issue in quarantine policies, then they will continue to be 'surprised' at checkpoints.
I have never found a check point officer who came across as anything other than reasonable people doing a job that most of us think is worth doing. The no-no list is easily available on the internet, but my rule of thumb is that almost any fresh plant material is a no-no coming from the East into SA. And that's a whole lot more than Fruit Fly sources!
I just accept it, but I can tell you it REALLY hurt when we travelled from Adelaide to Swan Reach (the Western boundary of the FFEZ) and had to toss out a truss of tomatoes we had bought in Adelaide the day before. It ruined my wife's weekend!!
FollowupID: 661852

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 11:00

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 11:00
Spot on Chris - that is why no soil into WA, or honey. Too late for the Mediterranean fruit fly. We have had a couple of outbreaks of coddling moth in fruit in WA, but there are all manner of fungal and other vege diseases we are trying to keep out. We lost our orchard due to a coddling moth outbreak a few years ago - which could only have been brought in by infected fruit being discarded in the area, which had spread and taken a good hold by the time it was discovered. We weren't infected, but one moth was identified in a trap just down the road from us, so on risk assessment, the trees went. The clean up seemed to be successful in the first year due to measures such as this.

The FFEZ which is the subject of GB's thread do allow veges and soil - just no fruit (which includes tomatoes). My potatoes, onions and carrots etc were fine to take through.

One they don't check enough for, and we are at great risk because of all the travellers, is seeds and burrs. Livestock, hay and the like are under strict controls, but any caravans and 4wds coming through could have picked up seeds under their rig if camped in a burr area. This is of greater concern to me than the horticultural nasties.

It is annoying to have to discard produce which probably was grown in the area, but it only takes on inconsiderate person to swap labels so they err on the side of caution. In the case in question, the internet site gave details of what could be taken in and what couldn't - BUT did not say there was a sub-division at the SA border, so following their rules, we still lost out fruit purchased within that area.

I never 'shoot the messenger', and most are polite about their work. We did meet "Miss Officious" once on the WA border - she was not a good ambassador for her employer, state or colleagues. It was our first trip out with the caravan, and only a short trip, so i hadn't discovered storage space around the wheel arches under the seat - she did that for me! I stood back and let her work out how to search my caravan, and when she took the boxes it had packed groceries in (which had come with me from WA anyway, and had WA grower brands on), i asked for substitute boxed to put the stuff back in the pantry. I have since purchased plastic tubs and trays.

I do get pretty emotional about protecting our agriculture here in WA. It is very inportant to us.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661867

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 09:13

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 09:13
Thanks for the warning, never occurred for me to check.
Live in Brisbane, and there used to be the check going into NSW.

Have been to SA once, but never saw a sign or any warning.
Went to Flinders ranges via the Strezlecki.

Have heard about WA, but didn't realize the FFEZ around the Murray was there.

AnswerID: 393764

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 09:36

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 09:36
Describing them as "Nazis' is offensive to the extreme, they are people doing their job to protect our agriculture industry & save jobs.

AnswerID: 393766

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:42

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:42
Lighten up Shaker.

Haven't you seen the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661877

Reply By: Ray - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:06

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:06
I live in W.A. and would like to know how is it I can buy fruit and veggies at Coles and Wollies tha are not grown in W.A. and evn from overseas??????
AnswerID: 393772

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:41

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:41
Hi Ray. The same situation applies everywhere in Oz. SA buys, say, Queensland tomatoes, and you won't see a semi load of tomatoes being 'confiscated' at Yamba!
The theory is all commercial loads must comply with the rule "ONLY permitted species of plants or parts of plants can be imported, and these MUST satisfy applicable treatment and certification requirements." So, whenever you buy Eastern rubbish from the supermarket in WA, you can be sure that its all been certified as disease free, just like the stuff we in the East buy. Oh yes? (I'll let you be the judge!!!).
FollowupID: 661866

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:44

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:44
and they've been sprayed with cyanide to kill the bugs.....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661878

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 13:24

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 13:24
Nearly right, Gone Bush!! The fruit and veg are irradiated to take care of the bugs. The cyanide is to take care of the West Australians! The certificate takes care of the bureaucrats.
FollowupID: 661881

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 16:11

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 16:11
I like your humour Chris.

Other humourless people on this Forum would be hunting you down by now.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661895

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 21:55

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 21:55
Tenpounder,

You are a wicked, wicked man.

I have tasty cheese and jatz crackers all through my keyboard.

Ian.
FollowupID: 661947

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 11:30

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 11:30
Had a look at the rules out of interest and a link follows. Essentially this guide tells you what you can and can't take over State borders, and this appears regardless of whether you purchased the fruit within the FFEZ.

Apologies in advance if already posted elsewhere.......

Quarantine - Domestic

Cheers
AnswerID: 393782

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 17:59

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 17:59
Now that is a handy website Landy. Have not seen it before.
Now bookmarked and will be used quite a bit as we a now full time 'travellers'.

Norm C
FollowupID: 661901

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 00:57

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 00:57
Thanks The Landy and ljsroslyn for posting the link.

I did not find that site in my search, and on several others i did find, there was not mention of the SA border within the FFEZ. This site has a map showing the quarantine area, and there is some small grey writing (talk about fine print) which is impossible to read which seems to say something about SA border. A useful site in part, but still does not spell out what happens at the SA border within the FFEZ, because it is not printed clearly - in fact 'hidden' by virtue of the unreadable text.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661971

Reply By: signman - Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:39

Friday, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:39
Got 'stung' with the same situation. We tried to do 'the right thing'...
The cook was NOT impressed !!

AnswerID: 393785

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 07:07

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 07:07
Having been stung a few times, despite trying to do the right thing, the only stuff we transport now is processed hops and grapes (problematic though in some parts of the NT).

Most of the officials are reasonable, but I reckon jobs with uniforms do tend to attract more of the anal retentives amongst us than most. How often do you reckon I've had to tell a young copper handing me a ticket to lighten up a bit?

If you want to find people with officious attitudes you'd start with police, parking officers, bouncers and the like. Most are quite reasonable people doing difficult work really well, but this is where you can really strike the so called 'Nazis'. People with these personalities gravitate to these jobs so they can push people around, or in the case of bouncers, beat the cr-- out of them (although Roebourne and Palm Island come to mind too).
AnswerID: 393859

Reply By: River Swaggie - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 07:22

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 07:22
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 393862

Reply By: John and Lynne - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 11:05

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 11:05
Going from Brisbane to WA this year quarantine drove us mad. We understand and support the need for it but it does get complicated! Surely simple signs saying "No Fruit or Veg Past this Point" would be better than all the different regs. We did the right thing (we thought) and picked up the WA Govt information booklet in Ceduna and it had errors according to the info we got from WA border inspectors!

It is also a pain that the WA checkpoint has been moved from nearNorseman to the state border. We had planned to spend several days on the Nullarbor, which is hardly noted for its agricultural industries or shops and had to do without any fresh fruit and veggies, including the ones we had thought OK like garlic.

We stayed in SA, found a pleasant campspot and cooked, parcooked or peeled everything - the garlic and chillies we bottled in olive oil (travelled perfectly for weeks!) We survived a week in the desert very well!

When we finally went through the WA border the inspector was very courteous and they must put up with a lot! Especially as their govt gives out inaccurate info and doesn't answer the listed info phone number!.
She was also brave. Our dog was in the back of the vehicle and she suddenly said "you have a dog! I have to check it for grass seeds!" Whereupon she reached in. and without hesitation or introduction ran her hands all over the astonished dog! Luckily the dog was too bemused to react! What if it had been a Rottweiler instead of a Jack Russell!? Would the dog have gone into the bin if she had grass seeds on her?

Apparently WA is the only Australian state still free of a terrible disease that is destroying honey bees all over the world. They are desperately trying to save a significant industry so be nice to them about the honey quarantine although it seems strange!

Happy travelling! Lynne

AnswerID: 393882

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 21:24

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 21:24
Having spent some time at the Eucla checkpoint, before I retired, I can tell you that some of the so called travellers have absolutely no regard for the WA quarantine regulations. Age and affluence make no difference.

We have had people deliberately hiding stuff, honey, fruit, plants and seeds etc and of course a fair bit of illegal substances turn up when a search is carried out.

Generally most people coming through the Checkpoint are understanding and cooperative but there a few malcontents who arc up at the thought of anyone inspecting their stuff, legal or otherwise.

It may come as no surprise that these uncooperative ones finish up being one of the "Random Full Inspections" that we can and do carry out occasionally.

It is not only cars and caravans that are inspected, all livestock and machinery is checked for plant matter (weed seeds, soil etc ) Anything requiring cleaning is sent to the old Norseman checkpoint site for attention before going further west.

The reason the Checkpoint was shifted from Norseman to Eucla was initially because SA decided to share the site but later reneged due to the alleged high cost, so WA went it alone.
There was another reason too, a lot of second hand harvest an mining machinery was taking the Balladonia to Esperance track and thus bypassing any checkpoint.

Despite what anyone may have heard, the Quarantine Staff do NOT eat any of the confiscated stuff, we are sick of the sight of honey, fruit etc. It is collected from the checkpoint regularly and incinerated.

Hope this clears up a few misconceptions about the WA checkpoint.
More uptodate info can be found at agric.wa.gov/quarantine

Disco.
FollowupID: 662064

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 06, 2009 at 04:30

Sunday, Dec 06, 2009 at 04:30
On the topic of "a terrible disease that is destroying honey bees all over the world" , the following link may be of interest>>>

Requiem for the Honey Bee

Google " honey bees+GM crops " , and there's plenty more..

Also an article in the current issue (Vol 17, No.1) of "Nexus" magazine...

There is good reason to be very, very concerned about this, I think....

Regards,
Ed C
:)
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 662102

Sponsored Links